Friday, July 30, 2004

 
Todd’s back.  Front too.

Steve: I wasn’t going to reply to your 7-23 post, because there didn’t seem to be anything to respond to.  But I think I’ve figured it out.

The really substantial claim is that I’ve rejected preexisting or absolute truth.  That is a fallacy.  There is such a thing as absolute truth, but human knowledge is incomplete, so we don’t always know what it is.

I know that I can’t walk through a door without opening it first.  I know that the empty rumbling sensation in my gut can be remedied by eating.  I know that the Earth is rotating and so the sun will rise in the morning.  I know all this because I’ve learned it through experience; that’s called ‘a posteriori’ knowledge (but you probably knew that).

I don’t know how the physical structure of my brain produces my personality, memory, imagination.  I don’t know that because human knowledge hasn’t advanced to that level yet.  Maybe it never will.

There are lots of things we don’t know.  That creates uncertainty.  Belief in god eases the uncertainty because where I say ‘I don’t know,’ you can say ‘god did it,’ or ‘god has a plan.’  There’s nothing wrong with ‘I don’t know.’

By the way, if I don’t believe god exists, how am I going to believe he’s looking over my shoulder?
I mean, I don’t hate the Galactic Empire either.  Oh, wait…

No comments: