Thursday, October 28, 2004

Steve Re: Movie Review

Several friends and I got together to watch Fahrenheit 911 followed by FahrenHype 911. This was the first time that I had seen Michael Moore’s movie and due to all the press, both positive and negative, I was quite interested in seeing the actual movie itself.

To purport that this movie is a documentary requires quite a stretch in the definition of ‘documentary’. It does, I expect, document Michael Moore’s ideology and opinion, but as far as documenting actualities outside of that sphere, it fails miserably.

In my 10 years of teaching and administrating, I somewhat enjoyed hearing the creative ways that students of all ages used to ‘slant the news’ and bend the facts to their own benefit. Even the youngest students were most excellent in this talent. Most of them, like Moore, lacked a quality of sophistication in this skill, however.

The movie was far too lengthy, poorly filmed, and its attempts at humor were of little cleverness. It was quite a burden to stay focused on it the entire time. One particular woman whose son was killed in Iraq was used extensively– so extensively that it seemed that her grief took second place to her landing a ‘starring role’. Manufactured wailing in a public place inhibits my empathy.

It’s somewhat scary to think that Fahrenheit 911 was apparently very popular, garnered rave reviews and awards. I hope that it is just the far, far lefties that are applauding this film. I could not see any liberal with integrity viewing these two movies back-to-back and not be embarrassed by Moore’s project.

Ron Silver’s comment in ‘Hype 911 becomes even more germane now. "Given enough video tape, I could make Michael Moore look like an anorexic right-winger." The magic of media. Lysergic Acid Diethylamide used to have that effect on me. (Only taken medicinally, of course.)

No comments: