Monday, January 30, 2006

The twelve wackiest moments in Super Bowl history, according to Fox Sports. Disturbingly, many of them have nothing whatsoever to do with the game - the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction," for example, comes in at #2.

But Green Bay did make the list:

#4. Max McGee: The hangover

After catching just four passes all season, Green Bay Packers receiver Max McGee figured he had the green light the night before the first Super Bowl.

He knew the Packers had a one-check system at curfew. After attendance was taken, he headed out on the town.

'I met some blonde the night before, and I was on my way to pay my respects,' McGee told teammate Jerry Kramer, who later wrote about the incident. 'I didn't feel I was letting the team down any, because I knew there wasn't a chance in hell I'd play. I waddled in about 7:30 in the morning, and I could barely stand up for the kickoff.'

But Packers star Boyd Dowler got hurt, so McGee was pressed into action.

'I almost fainted,' McGee said.

He somehow made a one-handed catch that was this game's first highlight-reel play. Overall, he caught seven passes for 137 yards and two touchdowns."

1 comment:

Al said...

That musta hurt!

He could have asked me about vitamin E.