Via Dr. Sanity:
Heads, I Win. Tails, You Lose.
"Using contradictory discourses as a political strategy:
In postmodern discourse, truth is rejected explicitly and consisteny can be a rare phenomenon. Consider the following pairs of claims."
- On the one hand, all truth is relative; on the other hand, postmodernism tells it like it really is."There is a common pattern here: Subjectivism and relativism in one breath, dogmatic absolutism in the next."
- On the one hand, all cultures are equally deserving of respect; on the other, Western culture is uniquely destructive and bad.
- Values are subjective--but sexism and racism are really evil
- Technology is bad and destructive--and it is unfair that some people have more technology than others.
- Tolerance is good and dominance is bad--but when postmodernists come to power, political correctness follows. (Stephen Hicks, Explaining Postmodernism, p 167.)
Via Wicked Thoughts:
Strange double-think:Negotiate this road with care. Former President Bill Clinton's 'bridge to the 21st Century' is totally unsupported with the Tigris and Euphrates raging below. (I just love Babylonian references.)
-The left equates Bush with Hitler and attacks his support of Israel.
-It says that the president has shredded the Constitution and that it is is a living document.
-It calls America a racist, genocidal state, and it attacks the administration for squandering our international reputation.
-It says that globalization is bad and that international cooperation is good.
-Whenever President Bush invokes the memory of 9/11, the left calls him a fear monger, and it also insists that a catastrophic climate change is coming soon.
-It says that we cannot win in Iraq but that we can destroy the planet.
-The left wants us to believe the same government that does such a good job running veterans' healthcare, public education, social security, and immigration is going to really do a great job running a nationalized healthcare system.