Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pushing a Hot Button

During most of his life, one of my older brothers, Grandpa Jerry, had virtually no interest in politics. After finishing high school and getting a start working in Janesville's G.M. plant, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy during the late 1960's and early 70's, and served a tour or two, mostly in Okinawa or on the aircraft carrier, U.S.S. Yorktown. After his tour he returned to G.M.

Somewhere along the line, I believe it was during the Kerry campaign, my brother suddenly seemed to become very interested in Presidential politics. The campaign found a latent hot button and gave it a good push. I learned of this hot button and happily give it a push from time to time. We have given this hot button the name, Jane Fonda. I do not tire of pushing it.

I believe that I have found another hot button that has not yet been tested. We will call this button, William Ayers and Bernadine Dorhn, long-time friends of Senator Obama. During the Viet Nam era, these two were Weathermen, radicals, bombers. They fall within the broad range of what can be termed specialty community organizers. Here's the hot button material:
As a gesture of solidarity, the Vietnamese who Dohrn met in Budapest presented her with a ring made from an American aircraft shot down over North Vietnam. Bill Ayers would receive a similar ring while meeting with Vietnamese communists in Toronto. He later recalled being so moved by the gesture that he "left the room to cry." He said, "I realized...America was an evil... and that I was... living inside the belly of the beast...."
I expect that gesture will nearly match the pictures of the helmeted Jane Fonda seated on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun pretending to shoot down American planes.

(With apologies to Dick Holler and his original 1968 title, Abraham, Martin, & John)

Has anybody here, seen my old friend Bernadine (William) (Jane)?-
Can you tell me where her soul's gone?
She's back-stabbed a lot of people, but it seems that scum still gets on.
But I just looked around and she's still wrong.

Anybody here seen my old friend Barack?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
I thought I saw him walkin' up over the hill,
With Bernadine, William, and Jane.


Over the hill, abandoned your post, turned your back on your duty... that about sums it up.

No comments: