Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Half His Prescience Tied Behind His Back
Just to Make It Fair

Most who have listened to The Rush Limbaugh Show will be familiar with the theme music that introduces each hour of his program. The music is the beginning of the 1982 song "My City Was Gone" by the British group, the Pretenders, written by Chrissie Hynde.

What may not be known, even by Chrissie Hynde, is that this song foretells President Obama's election, the results his policies including his stimulus package.
I went back to ohio
But my city was gone
There was no train station
There was no downtown
South howard had disappeared
All my favorite places
My city had been pulled down
Reduced to parking spaces
A, o, way to go ohio

Well I went back to ohio
But my family was gone
I stood on the back porch
There was nobody home
I was stunned and amazed
My childhood memories
Slowly swirled past
Like the wind through the trees
A, o, oh way to go ohio

I went back to ohio
But my pretty countryside
Had been paved down the middle
By a government that had no pride
The farms of ohio
Had been replaced by shopping malls
And muzak filled the air
From seneca to cuyahoga falls
Said, a, o, oh way to go ohio
This song was on the flip side of the single, "Back On The Chain Gang." This song not only notes the results of the Obama tenure foisted upon America and its citizens, but also hints at the Conservative response:
I found a picture of you, oh oh oh oh
What hijacked my world that night
To a place in the past
We've been cast out of? oh oh oh oh
Now we're back in the fight
We're back on the train
Oh, back on the chain gang

A circumstance beyond our control, oh oh oh oh
The phone, the tv and the news of the world
Got in the house like a pigeon from hell, oh oh oh oh
Threw sand in our eyes and descended like flies
Put us back on the train
Oh, back on the chain gang

The powers that be
That force us to live like we do
Bring me to my knees
When I see what they've done to you
But I'll die as I stand here today
Knowing that deep in my heart
They'll fall to ruin one day
For making us part

I found a picture of you, oh oh oh oh
Those were the happiest days of my life
Like a break in the battle was your part, oh oh oh oh
In the wretched life of a lonely heart
Now we're back on the train
Oh, back on the chain gang
Now we're back on the Conservative train; we're back in the fight.

That Limbaugh sure is smart.

No comments: