Thursday, October 29, 2009

Digging in the Graveyard

Since it is getting close to Halloween I needed to find something to scare the grandbabies. As I wandered through a local graveyard I noticed a small gravestone with mostly unreadable markings. The only letters that I could make out after cleaning it off the best I could were a 'O' and the letters 'DNC.' I decided to dig it up. After just a few minutes I found a small pamphlet and pulled it up. I shook off the dirt and found that it was a copy of something titled 'The Constitution of the United States.' In recent years I had begun to doubt that it really had ever existed, but there it was in my dirty hands.

I opened the little book and attempted to read it.
We the Zombies... no... people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union, establish social justice... no... justice, insure the health care... no... insure domestic tranquility, prevent... no... provide for the common defense, promote general welfare, and secede... no... secure the blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
I remembered that long ago I complained that 'the general welfare' clause above was being interpreted that the federal government could do anything it wanted by claiming it was for 'the general welfare.' But now in context with 'the common defense' it means that President Obama should authorize the requested troops for Afghanistan to promote General McChrystal's troops' welfare.

No comments: