Monday, October 18, 2010

Spare Time on my Hands

Just for fun I began searching Facebook for Burris that I might be interested to know. In the United States Burri is not a very common name. However, there were hundreds to be found in Switzerland. There were several from Italy and Portugal.

Need to have somebody thumped? Give cousin Beat Burri a call:


Need some eye candy. Contact cousin Helene Burri:


There were some Hindu Burris, some Tamil Burris, some African Burris, and some Muslim Burris.

And in Khartoum, Sudan, there is a Burri Cemetery, a Burri Alshaif, a Burri Alshareif Cemetery, a Burri Aldraisa,  a Burri Almahas (sections of the city just west of the Blue Nile), and even a Burri Sports Club. I have no idea what that means.



The best that I can determine, Burri in Arabic means 'to shower.'

In Hindi, Burri means 'elder' or 'of a higher authority.'

And here I had only grown up thinking that I was part of a communist plot after Khrushchev pounded his shoe on a U.N. table exclaiming, "We will Burri you!"

I am so confused.

No comments: