Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The African Queen

Although I have watched The African Queen several times, I had never noted this cleverly placed cultural comment.

Just before they were to be hanged as spies, Charlie (Bogart) requests that the German ship captain perform a marriage between him and Rosie. (Hepburn)

Captain: "Very well, if you wish it absolutely. What are the names again?"
Charlie: "Charles."
Rose: "Rosie... Rose."
Captain: "Do you, Charles, take this woman to be your lawful wedded wife?"
Charlie: "Yes, sir."
Captain: "Do you, Rose, take this man to be your lawful wedded husband?"
Rose: "I do."
Captain: "By the authority vested in me by Kaiser Wilhelm II, I pronounce you man and wife. Proceed with the execution."

The German Supreme Court then reversed the ship captain's verdict and sentence citing the prohibition of double jeopardy in German law.

No comments: